Posted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 6:23 pm Post subject: Table no. 1, some outline of our conversation
* [Intro/Talking points](http://wiki.citasa.org/index.php/Roundtable_2_Online_social_networks)
* masmith on a couple of things:
* email is a network; that is, networking isn't just "social networks"
* and we leave lots of traces
* Q: These are analytic objects; are they theoretical?
* tension between "what can I measure" and "what is meaningful for social life"?
* For whom are different kinds of data/phenomena meaningful?
* actions have meaning to their actors
* networks can obscure "real life" power/hierarchy
* and when ossified, prevent chance encounters that are meaningful or important
* in a theoretical as well as a methodological way
* under what sorts of situations will these questions translate to action/understanding/democracy
* presuming that online networks will change institutions, what institutions will they be and what will they look like?
* marriage, relationships, structure of the family and extended family
* money/financial institutions?
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum